The two Asian powers are rapidly stepping up their engagement in Africa.
In October 2015, New Delhi hosted the India-Africa Forum Summit, which for the first time brought together all 54 African countries. At the summit, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi* showed India’s interest in strengthening relations with African countries, discussing economic as well as political and diplomatic ties. India wants to join the UN Security Council and is counting on the African delegates’ votes to achieve that. But India is also interested in spurring its economic development, by investing abroad, accessing overseas markets, and securing energy resources, and it very much has its eye on Africa.
- Publication year: 2015
- Content type: Op-Ed
- Form of cooperation: Comprehensive
- Cooperation context: Multilateral
- Region (country): Africa
- Sector: Multisectoral
- Institution (publication): The Diplomat
- Written by: Daouda Cissé
- Keywords: India-Africa Forum Summit, India-Africa relations, international relations
- Link: https://thediplomat.com/2015/11/china-and-india-in-africa/