The present document develops a theoretical basis for a “development compact” to be used as the cornerstone of development cooperation in the spirit of South-South cooperation (SSC). Following an analysis of the theoretical and empirical contours of North-South cooperation (NSC), it follows that SSC has taken the form of a ‘development compact’ and a win-win situation for both partners in cooperation. It argues for a structuralist approach for SSC, in the spirit of ‘premise control’ to avoid conditionalities, preserve sovereignty, and thereby drive mutual benefits for themselves in the spirit of horizontally.
- Publication year: 2019
- Content type: Report
- Form of cooperation: Comprehensive (Lines of credit, grants and loans, and technical assistance).
- Cooperation context: Multilateral
- Region (country):
- Sector: Multisectoral
- Institution (publication): United Nations Office for South-South cooperation
- Author (and co-authors):
- Keywords: South-South development cooperation; institutional framework; development compact; the theoretical framework of south-south cooperation
- Link: https://www.unsouthsouth.org/2019/03/18/south-south-ideas-south-south-cooperation-a-theoretical-and-institutional-framework-2019/