Challenges, Opportunities and Critical Interventions
In recent years, China and India have become the most important economic partners of Africa and their footprints are growing by leaps and bounds, transforming Africa’s international relations in a dramatic way. Although the overall impact of China and India’s engagement in Africa has been positive in the short-term, partly as a result of higher returns from commodity exports fuelled by excessive demands from both countries, little research exists on the actual impact of China and India’s growing involvement on Africa’s economic transformation.
This book examines in detail the opportunities and challenges posed by the increasing presence of China and India in Africa, and proposes critical interventions that African governments must undertake in order to negotiate with China and India from a stronger and more informed platform.
- Publication year: 2010
- Content type: Book
- Form of cooperation: Comprehensive (lines of credit, grants and loans, and technical assistance).
- Cooperation context: Multilateral
- Region (country): Africa, China
- Sector: Multisectoral
- Institution (publication): Zed Books
- Edited by: Fantu Cheru and Cyril Obi
- Keywords: China, Africa, international relations
- Link: http://nai.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:285922/FULLTEXT01.pdf